Reference Number: RO-19122018
Employment Type: Full time
Category: Research, Science and Biotechnology
Job Grade: 7.01
To contribute to the social science research agenda within the HSRE department, including empirical ethics and health policy and systems research in global health, with a focus on Kenya. Areas of this work are conducted as part of international research collaborations. The post holder will undertake systematic and other forms of review of published and grey literature, and contribute to the planning, conduct and dissemination of findings from social science studies (quantitative and qualitative) in relation to key areas of research in the department. The broad areas of departmental focus are global health research ethics and health policy and systems research. Empirical ethics research foci may include studies based on Controlled Human Infection Models, approaches to community engagement in research and concepts of vulnerability in research.
- Senior Postdoctoral Researcher.
- Principal Investigator.
- Senior Field Workers.
BUDGET AND RESOURCE RESPONSIBILITY:
- Responsible for a laptop computer and one or more digital voice recorders used in this work; and for petty cash budgets up to approximately kes 10,000 associated with field work.
- To review and summarise issues from the published scientific literature in specific areas of interest, with a particular focus on international collaborative research in Africa; and to update this as needed over time.
- To review and summarise national and international guidelines or policy documents relevant to foci of specific social science research projects; and to update this as needed over time.
- To contribute to the development and ethical conduct of specific areas of social science research at KWTRP, including planning, tool development and data collection and analysis for quantitative and qualitative research, and writing scientific papers and blogs around current areas of work.
- Amongst social science studies, a focal area is empirical ethics research around recent developments and enduring ethical questions in biomedical research. Examples of such foci include developments in Controlled Human Infection Studies on malaria, which are currently being conducted in Kilifi and recruiting participants from Kilifi County and Ahero in Kisumu County. Other areas may include community engagement in different forms of health research and vulnerability in research.
- To contribute to the dissemination of information from the study, including through the preparation of reports, blogs and manuscripts for publication, making presentations at scientific meetings and feeding back to participants in the consultation exercise.
- Where indicated, provide training and support to other research team members / collaborating partners in areas within these responsibilities.
- And any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- MA or MSc in relevant subject such as Social Science (related to health), Public Health, Bioethics, Law, Nursing, Medicine or equivalent
- At least 3 years of health research experience, ideally including at least 2 years post masters experience in collecting and analysing qualitative and quantitative research data. Experience in peer-reviewed publishing will be an advantage.
- Computer literacy with proficiency in Microsoft applications and software for quantitative and qualitative analysis.
- A keen interest in social science and bioethics or clinical or research ethics.
- Good planning, organisation and co-ordination skills.
- Good analytical and follow through ability.
- High levels of fluency in written and spoken English and Kiswahili.
- Ability to take and follow instructions, initiative, keen to learn and proactive with the ability to work under minimal supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including in making presentations at scientific meetings.
- Flexibility, adaptability, multi-tasking and attention to detail.
- Conscientiousness, timeliness and willingness to work to meet deadlines.
- Confidentiality and integrity
- Team working and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- The work station will be at the KEMRI-Wellcome Trust’s office at Kilifi, with occasional travel to other locations in Kenya and internationally.
- The work environment will include both office and field-based tasks.