Central Bank of Kenya is among the highest paying parastatals in Kenya, it’s classified under Class A parastatals with a minimum salary of Ksh 130,000 to Ksh 180,000 for fresh graduate employees.
Since the work of CBK is important, employees’ salaries are not determined by SRC,the bank sets its employees’ salaries. For junior staff, clerks, secretaries, security officers, messengers, the pay is between Ksh 40,000 to Ksh 150,000 while officers with 1-3 years of experience earn between Ksh120,000 to Ksh180,000. Those who are in the rank of supervisors earn Ksh 200,000 to Ksh 400,000 per month.
After supervisors, there are managers, who earn Ksh 400,000 to Ksh 800,000 per month. Senior Managers pocket over Ksh1 million per month as gross pay.
The CBK Governor pockets over Ksh 1.8 million shillings per month plus other bonuses.
CBK is one institutions which is hard to join unless you are recruited as an intern and you impress the management or get recruited through a competitive process. In most cases, the institution get staff from World Bank, IMF and other global financial institutions who understand monetary policies.
To be recruited as an intern, check the following qualifications:
- a) A first degree from a recognized university in any of the following disciplines: Finance, Economics, Statistics,
Accounting, Micro-Finance, Management or Social Sciences, Law, or related discipline or a Master’s degree in a relevant field;
- b) Be a Kenyan youth between 21 to 29 years of age;
- c) Must have graduated within the last 24 months from the closing date of the advertisement and/or awaiting
- d) Provide a recommendation/reference letter from the university attended; and
e) Should not have undertaken any other Internship programme or exposed to work experience related to their area of study since graduating.
- a) Should possess interpersonal and communication skills;
- b) Must be goal oriented, dynamic, passionate and self-motivated;
- c) Must be a team player and have the ability to solve problems;
- d) A person of integrity;
- e) Must be computer proficient