K24 has sacked over 150 journalists include 9 top journalists. Mediamax, which owns K24 ,showed the 9 the exit door after it became clear that their salaries were more than what they were bringing to the company. Among those fired include, Torome Tirike, Frankline Wambugu and Mwanaisha Chidzuga
The full list of top journalists sacked is as follows:
- Fred Njiri – Managing Editor K24
- Torome Tirike – Head of sports
- Franklin Wambugu – Managing Editor, Swahili
- Frankilin Macharia – Senior Reporter
- Anders Ihaji – political reporter
- Ali Mtenzi- deputy Managing Editor
- Mwanaisha Chidzuga – Swahili anchor
- Juma Bhalo – Swahili Anchor
- Tony Timase – Head of Business k24
It has emerged that the problem started when Sportpesa, Betin and other betting firms exited the country, media houses lost nearly 50% of the revenue. The government had hoped that Sportpesa would stay but it’s exit was a big blow to mainstream media, especially the Kenyatta owned company Mediamax Limited.
We are also getting information that other media stations will follow suite.