If you are planning to join the Kenya Defense Forces(KDF), below are minimum recruitment requirements for General Service Officer (GSO) Cadets, Specialist Officers, Tradesmen/Women/Trades Members, Recruits/Service Members, and Constabulary
General Service Officer (GSO) Cadets
Candidates wishing to join the Kenyan Defence Forces as GSO Cadets must apply through responding to advertisements placed in the mass media (print and electronic). The candidates must:
(1) Be Kenyan citizens
(2) Be aged between 18 and 26 years
(3) Not be less than 5 ft 3 in. (5’3”) high
(4) Weigh at least:
(a) Men – 54.55 Kg (120 lb)
(b) Women – 50 Kg (110 lb)
(5) Be medically fit
(6) Not have a criminal record
(7) Be in possession of a valid National Identity Card
(8) Hold a mean Grade B (Plain) certificate or higher standard of education. Preference to be given to graduates.
(9) Female candidates must NOT be pregnant.
The Army, Air Force and Navy will subject their candidates to their respective “Special to Services” selection interviews.
Any graduate candidate who opts to join the Defence Forces as a GSO will lose all the benefits accorded to a Specialist Officer and will have to fulfil all conditions laid down for a GSO.
Candidates will be selected from suitable qualified civilians through application for the advertised vacancies and appear before a Defence Forces Commissioning Board. They will be commissioned into the Defence Forces as “Direct Entry” officers.
The following will be observed:
(1) Age Between 18 and 30 years old.
(2) Education – A minimum of mean grade B (Plain) in KCSE and an undergraduate degree from a recognised University/Institution.
(3) Experience – Minimum of two (2) years’ working experience.
(4) Registration – Must be registered with the relevant statutory body, where applicable.
Candidates who wish to join the Defence Forces as Tradesmen/women must apply through responding to advertisements placed in the mass media (print and electronic). The candidates must observe the following:
(1) Technicians: A minimum of mean grade C- (Minus) in KCSE, a relevant diploma from a recognized Institution and be registered with the relevant statutory bodies, where applicable.
(2) Artisans: A minimum of mean grade D (Plain) in KCSE and either a relevant certificate with Government Trade Test Grade II or Craft II from a recognized Institution.
Recruits undertake an exercise during the Kenya Defence Force recruitment .
Candidates wishing to join the Defence Forces must meet the following conditions:
(1) Must be Kenyan citizens.
(2) Age – Between 18 and 26 years old.
(3) Education – A minimum of mean grade D (Plain) in KCSE.
(4) Be medically fit.
(5) Have no criminal record.
(6) Minimum Height – 5 ft 3 in. (5’3”).
(7) Minimum Weight:
(a) Men – 54.55 Kg (120 lb).
(b) Women – 50 Kg (110 lb).
(8) Women candidates must NOT be pregnant.
Recruitment of constabularies will be carried out only with the approval of the Cabinet Secretary. Candidates wishing to join the Defence Forces Constabulary must satisfy the following requirements:
(1) Must be Kenyan citizens.
(2) Age – Between 30 and 49 years old.
(3) Be medically fit.
(4) Have no criminal record.
(5) Be ex-Defence Forces Servicemen/Women (Kenya Army, Kenya Air Force or Kenya Navy).
(6) Possess a Discharge Certificate of minimum “Very Good”.
(7) Must have served at least a 3 or 9 years’ colour service.
(8) Must be in possession of a valid National Identity card