There was a time a degree course used to assure the holders good life, prosperity and wealth, but the glamour and excitement ended few year ago when module II program was introduced in universities.Nowadays,a degree is useless, and here is why.
Most educated people in Kenya are poor. Not just poor, but very Poor. Why?
Because 80% of the educated people in Kenya earn less than Kshs. 50,000 for a salary before tax and other deductions. When the deductions are put into consideration, the net salary comes to around Kshs 35,000.
The net salary then suffers from loan deductions of up to 10,000 leaving the salary at around kshs 25,000. The landlord then demands for his 10,000 and monthly shopping takes away 5,000 leaving one with a 10,000. The bus will demand for 4,000 going to and from work and relatives get another 2,000. Remaining 5,000 can’t even take care of one kid in a nice private school, whole salary is gone and borrowed money starts operating. The borrowed money includes short loans and salary advances whereby payment is up to 50% in interest.
The difference between poverty and prosperity is property. A prosperous person has property to his name while a poverty stricken person has no property to show. Using this understanding, therefore, most of the degree holders are poverty stricken, borrowing money to buy chicken and chips, pizza, buy expensive gadgets for show off and loaned cars to surprise their enemies.
The biggest excuse for getting paid such low amounts of money and having to sit and work for another person for 30 days in 30 years plus is THE DEGREE that one possesses and that’s all. This has made most of the degree holders very poor to poverty stricken and will die that way most likely. A degree holder does not know how to generate money unless that money is generated for the employer. A degree holder is so dependent on the salary that he can do anything to get a job but will not think of starting a business of his own to employ others. Employee is good but use it as a doorway into entrepreneurship. You are not good in business. Then build rental houses.
- A degree holder is not prepared to sell chips but is very happy to work in Kenchic, Java etc for hungry lion.
- A degree holder is not prepared to sell popcorn in the street but is very happy to work at Safaricom/Airtel/Suppermarket outlet daily standing from 8:00am to 6:00Pm going home with 10,000,20,000 or 25,000 per month.
- A degree holder is not prepared to sell second hand clothes but is very happy to be employed by an Asian selling same clothes.
- A degree holder is not prepared to make Kshs100,000 monthly doing his own business but is very happy to work at the till in a bank getting paid 40,000-70,000 while 50% of same cash go for Tax and Vat.
- A degree holder is not prepared to start a company and grow it in two to three years but will spend three years searching for a job.
- A degree holder is not prepared to sell food to students but will be happy to be reporting to a boss with no qualifications as long as he is paid 30,000 for a salary.
- A degree holder is so eager to get out of this country and work in another country than spend time to develop his own country.
- A degree holder staying in a foreign land is very keen to condemn Kenya but never contributing to the development of this country.
- A Kenya degree holder would rather sweep the streets of London or USA than start a business and make money in Kenya – others work in people’s homes doing some work you can’t explain.
- A degree holder in Kenya will watch porn on his laptop but never to write a book using the same laptop to sell and make money.
- A degree holder will blame the government for lack of jobs even after he was on government bursary for him to have his degree.
- A degree holder will spent entire day betting rather than looking for proper way to grow their income.
- Kenya is blessed with people who have master’s degree and others are doctors in different technical fields such as IT and Engineering but all of them have failed to create a cartoon character and develop a movie from the same instead very happy to buy Tom and Jerry for their children thereby promoting America.
At the school I go to, there is a man that is of very humble background. He does not speak English but sells Coke, Fanta and Sprite at 35 each making a profit of around 10 on each drink. He also sells chips at 100 making a profit of 30 on each portion. Not less than 100 students buy chips and a drink every single day. This means he makes a profit of 40 for a drink and chips and a total profit of 4,000 per day…every single day. In ten days he makes a profit of 40,000, in twenty days 80,000 and in thirty days 120,000. Which means in a bad month he goes home with not less than 70,000.
The degree holder working in a bank at the till gets a salary of 50,000 every month.
Why are the degree holders poor?
Because they have decided to pride themselves in a degree and failed to think better than a man who does not have even a certificate to his name.
Degree holders spend their time liking articles on linkedIn and facebook but never have any care in the world to implement what they like. Poverty starts from the mind, a mind that just likes things but never to implement those things.
If you want to progress, throw away that degree and start thinking better than someone without a degree. Be prepared to get your hands dirty and work like an ox for your business. Your hard work will pay off.