Sugar has so many uses that most of you may not be aware of. Some of the amazing things about sugar are as follows:
1. Brain scans given after sugar consumption show effects very similar to the brain scans of people who have taken cocaine
2. The body gets absolutely zero nutritional value from processed sugar’s empty calories. In fact, consuming refined sugar actually depletes our bodies of nutrients such as Vitamin B. Sugar is the enemy, even though it tastes sweet.
3. Why sugar is called a “silent killer?” Because it’s negative side effects occur without symptoms or warning bells. If you’ve gained weight in the past year and can’t quite figure out why, perhaps you should look at how much fructose you’re consuming.
4. In more recent studies, the evidence points to excess sugar as the primary cause of heart disease. These studies are showing that high amounts of sugars raise triglyceride, LDL, blood glucose and insulin levels and increase your odds of abdominal obesity.
5. Type 2 diabetes is caused by the body’s inability to process glucose, even if insulin is present. This is mainly because there is too much sugar in the body and not enough naturally occurring insulin to process the excess sugar.
6. Refined sugar (bleached, blanched, and anything ending in ‘ose’ such as fructose, galactose, sucrose) all cause dehydration to skin cells, resulting in that crepey, thin-looking skin that is anything but healthy
7. Sugar feeds the yeasts in our guts, and since 80% of the immune system resides in the gut, it’s important to maintain a healthy balance of the good bacteria so we can fight off viruses and bugs.
8. Sugar also makes the blood very thick and sticky, inhibiting blood flow into the minute capillaries that supply our cells with vital nutrients, which itself affects the health of bones and teeth, as well as of the circulatory system and the brain
9. Sugar causes wrinkles. This alone should put you off sugar for life! Sugar in the blood attaches to proteins and causes AGE advanced glycation end products. These attack the fibers in elastin and collagen which makes your skin supple.
10. Sugar can cause oestrogen production in men – MOOBS (man boobs) are on the rise! Especially in young boys like it has never been seen before