Reference Number: LABTECH – 220818
Employment Type: Full time
Category: Clinical Healthcare and Research
Job Grade: 4.01
To provide technical support to research teams in microbiological laboratory assays, analysis of samples/data and recording of applied processes and procedures in order to meet specific clinical research objectives.
- Laboratory Section Head
BUDGET AND RESOURCE RESPONSIBILITY:
The KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme conducts high quality clinical trials and laboratory research focussing on diseases that present a high burden for developing countries. The programme aims to maximise opportunities for learning and training in order to maintain a cadre of highly skilled and experienced staff from all disciplines.
We are looking for a laboratory technologist at the Mtwapa site to join a dynamic team that conducts different clinical epidemiology studies with key populations at the KEMRI clinic in Mtwapa. He/She will have a particular responsibility for laboratory services within the NIH-supported ‘Tambua Mapema Plus’ trial evaluating the impact of a novel screening programme to detect prevalent and acute HIV infection in adult patients and their partners seeking urgent care at 6 health facilities in Mtwapa and Shanzu.
The focus of the technologist’s work will be serological processing of specimens according to standardised SOPs, careful documentation and liaison with the study team who are based in the Mtwapa Research Clinic.
- Conduct microbiological or serological assays, interpret and document results using routine and basic laboratory procedures involving manual techniques or use of laboratory instruments.
- Conduct GeneXpert HIV RNA test, interpret results, document and communicate results per SOP
- Standardise, calibrate and carry out preventive maintenance and basic troubleshooting on laboratory equipment and instrument.
- Receive samples and ensure that relevant support documentation is provided and process in line with relevant QC guidelines; document sample and process information.
- Consult the Lab Section Head in cases where the machine shows error messages for troubleshooting and resolution of problems
- Liaise with the clinical study team in order to ensure that relevant samples are taken/ provided, resolve discrepancies and to communicate results in line with laid down procedures.
- Pack and dispatch samples to other laboratories using the laid down procedures (SOP)
- Participate in various QAQC, EQA, IQC and regulatory agency activities within the assigned section, including developing and documenting QC monitors.
- Prepare and collate results, update relevant databases and prepare reports as required.
- Monitor lab resources and inform relevant staff on the replenishment.
- Manage and dispose of waste in line with laid down guidelines including segregation and use of specified waste disposal facilities.
- Continually comply with all laid down QMS guidelines/ standards/ SOPs and comply with all health and safety guidelines.
- Any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- A Diploma in Medical Laboratory Sciences
- Registered with the Kenya Medical Laboratory Technicians and Technologists Board
- Experience in clinical or research microbiology
- Knowledge of laboratory Health and Safety practices
- Computer literacy with proficiency in Microsoft applications
- Strong analytical and follow through ability; attentive to detail
- Ability to follow laid down processes and procedures
- Confidentiality and integrity
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Team working and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Knowledge and understanding of GCLPs and regulatory/ accreditation agency requirements.
- Knowledge of Quality management systems and good documentation practice
- Experience of microbiological research
- Based at the identified health facilities within North Coast Kenya (Mtwapa – Bamburi area) for the Tambua Mapema study.
- Be available to work out of hours as necessary.
- Exposure to materials considered infectious and/or biohazards.