There are more than 12 politicians in Kenya who own media stations.These politicians use the stations to get more audience during campaigns.In Kenya if you don’t have a media station,it’s hard to survive in politics.
Here is a list of politicians with media stations in Kenya.
- Uhuru Kenyatta—Mediamax Limited which owns K24, Kameme and Milele FM
- Gideon Moi—His family owns Standard Media Group which publishes The Standard Newspaper .The company also owns KTN,KTN News,Radio Maisha among other stations
- Ghetto Radio is owned by Ghetto Radio Foundation, whose Chairperson is Maria Mbeneka, the First Lady of Laikipia County
- Kiprono Kittony, the son of Zipporah Kittony, who is a relative of former President Daniel Moi, has an ownership stake in Radio Africa Group. The group owns The Star newspaper, Kiss TV, and 6 radio stations which include Kiss 100 and Classic 105.
- Mururi FM is owned by former MP and ex-Nacada Chairman John Mututho while former Foreign Affairs Minister and immediate High Commissioner to Tanzania Chirau Ali Makwere owns Kaya FM
- Zablon Mathenge, a Senate aspirant for Meru County, owns Mwariama TV, Mwariama FM, and Furaha FM.
- Garissa Senator Yusuf Haji owns Frontier Radio and Radio Salaam
- Mvita MP Abdulswamad Shariff Nassir controls Radio Rahma
- Baite TV is owned by Meru County Women Rep Kawira Mwangaza
- Nam Lolwe FM is owned by Neural Digital Broadcaster Limited, which is linked to former MP Jakoyo Midiwo, who is also Raila Odinga’s cousin
- Kitui Governor Charity Ngilu owns two radio stations namely Mbaitu FM and Syokimau FM
- Kirinyaga Woman Rep Purity Ngirici who owns Mt. Kenya TV and Iganjo FM