There are simple processes to follow before you get a driving license in Kenya. The most important thing is to find a registered driving school where to enroll for driving course, then apply for a driving license through the school or on e-Citizen website.
A licensing officer shall not grant an applicant a driving license endorsed in respect of any class of motor vehicle unless the applicant –
- satisfies the licensing officer that
- He has passed a test of competence to drive that class of motor vehicle and that he holds a certificate of competence
- Is the holder of a valid driving license for that class of motor vehicle granted by a competent authority in a member country of the Commonwealth, or
- Is the holder of an international driving permit
- Makes a declaration as to whether or not he is suffering from any such disease or physical disability which would be likely to cause the driving by him of a motor vehicle to be a source of danger to the public
- Is able to read, with glasses if worn, a motor vehicle identification plate at a distance of twenty five (25) metres. A person who is totally blind or blind in one eye is not allowed to hold a driving license.
If it appears to a licensing officer that there is reason to believe that the applicant for any driving license is suffering from disease or physical disability likely to cause the driving by him of a motor vehicle, of the class or classes in respect of which the application for a license is made, to be a source of danger to the public, such application may be disapproved unless the applicant –
- Produces a certificate from a medical practitioner stating that in the opinion of such medical practitioner the applicant is physically fit to drive the class or classes of motor vehicle in question; and
- Undergoes and passes a driving test
After one has passed a driving test, the next step is to apply for the licence. You can use this link to apply on NTSA website or apply through the school you trained with—you will be guided by the school authority on how to apply for the license.