Which are the most popular evening class/part time courses offered at the University of Nairobi?
The University of Nairobi offers several evening classes, which also extend to weekends. Statistics show the following are courses are the most popular programme offered at UoN over the weekends and evening hours:
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
MBA admits over 500 students annually for evening classes. Admission requirement for the program are:
Masters Degree: Applicants for masters degree programmes should have a minimum of Upper Second Class Honours Degree in the relevant discipline from the University of Nairobi or Equivalent qualification from Institutions recognized by Senate. Persons with lower qualifications but with publications and postgraduate diplomas after Bachelors’ degrees are also considered for admission.
Most students prefer MBA over other courses because it has many areas of specialization for students and has more job opportunities. The course is also not listed as one of the hardest masters courses in Kenya.
- Bachelor of Commerce
The Bachelor of Commerce (BCom) degree programme of the University of Nairobi prepares undergraduate students for careers in business management both in the public and private sectors of the economy. Since its inception in 1964, the programme has offered management education to a broad spectrum of students from the Eastern Africa region and beyond.
Flexible schedules make the program more accessible. The program is offered on full-time, part-time and distance learning modes. The part-time and distance learning programmes are designed to accommodate the special needs of those in full-time employment and other demands.
Admission to the Bachelor of Commerce degree will be governed by the common regulations of the bachelor’s degree of the University of Nairobi and specifically any one of the following Senate approved qualifications.
- Holder of KCSE certificate with a minimum mean grade of C+ plus a minimum of C in both Mathematics and English/Kiswahili;
- Holder of KCSE certificate with a minimum mean grade of C+ plus a minimum of B in bridging course offered in the University of Nairobi with at least a C- in the subject at KCSE.
- Holder of KCSE certificate with a minimum mean grade of C or O-level Division III plus a diploma from a recognized institution.
- Holder of KCSE certificate with a minimum mean grade of C or O-level Division III plus CPA/CPS Part II or equivalent professional qualification.
- Holder of KCSE with a minimum mean grade of C- plus a Certificate and Diploma from a recognized institution.
- Holder of KACE certificate with a minimum of two principal passes plus a minimum of a credit pass in Mathematics at KCE.
- Holder of KACE certificate with a minimum of two subsidiary passes plus a Diploma from a recognized institution.
- Master of Computer Science
Master of Computer Science is also another evening course with over 100 students annually. The course is offered during evening hours. Admissions to the program Occur May/August each year.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, of at least Upper Second Class Honours or an equivalent qualification from an institution recognised by Senate.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science with a Lower Second Class Honours or an equivalent qualification from an institution recognised by Senate. In addition the applicant should have at least 2 years relevant experience.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science with a Pass degree or an equivalent qualification from an institution recognised by Senate. In addition the applicant should have at least 4 years relevant experience
Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics and Physics of at least Upper Second Class Honours or an equivalent qualification from an institution recognised by Senate. In addition the applicant must hold a Postgraduate Diploma in Computer Science, of a minimum Credit grade or an equivalent qualification from an institution recognised by Senate.
Master in Statistics, Biometry/Actuarial Science/Social Statistics
Masters in Statistics, Biometry/Actuarial Science/Social Statistics attract a total of 150 + students annually.The programmes are offered in the department of Mathematics.
The courses are suitable for students with qualification in mathematics, statistics and Actuarial Science.
To be eligible for registration for the Master of Science degree in Mathematics, candidates must have taken Mathematics or Statistics as a major subject in their first degree and obtained at least an upper second class honours or its equivalent.
Common regulations from the Masters degree in all Faculties shall be applicable and the general regulations for the Masters degree in the School of Mathematics shall also be applicable. In the First Year of Study, all candidates shall take six units by course work and in the second year of study, candidates may either take course work or undertake thesis research.
Candidates taking course work in the second year of study will take either six course units or four course units and a project whose findings shall be presented in the form of a brief write up. The project shall be regarded as equivalent to two units.
Candidates undertaking a thesis research in the second year of study, shall do so on an approved subject. The thesis shall be regarded as equivalent to six course units. Examinations shall be governed by the general regulations from the Degree of Master of Science in the School of Mathematics.
The course work examinations shall be held at the end of the academic year. A one-unit course will be examined by a two-hour paper while a two-unit course will be examined by a three-hour paper.
- Master of Arts in Economics
Master of Arts in Economics is also a popular course at the University of Nairobi.The program is offered during evening hours and weekends. Entry requirements into Master of Arts in Economics are:
The common regulations for admission and registration in a Masters degrees in the University of Nairobi shall apply.
In addition the following shall be eligible for registration for the Master of Arts in Economics.
- i) Holders of at least an Upper Second Class Honours in economics;
- ii) Holders of degrees or equivalent qualifications from other institutions recognized by Senate of the University as being of comparable academic status to those in (i) above.
- Msc Finance
Msc is suitable for graduates from the following academic background:
- Actuarial Science
- Bachelor of Commerce (Finance/Accounting)
- Bachelor of Real Estate Management
- Bachelor of Engineering(Civil,Mechanical,Electrical)
- Bachelor of Mathematics
- Bachelor of Economics
Students who feel like not pursuing MBA opt to pursue MSc Finance. The course is popular at UoN because not many universities offer the same.