Business Development Manager, EARO
Req Number: I4434
Position Type:Full Time
Job Title:Business Development Manager, EARO
Position Title: Business Development (BD) Manager I
Dept./Location: EARO/Nairobi, Kenya
Position Type: Full-time
Reports To: Deputy Regional Director, Program Quality
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
The BD Manager will support the expansion and diversification of revenue from institutional donors and non-traditional funding sources to achieve CRS’ strategic objectives. He/she will operate as a member of both CRS’ East Africa regional team and CRS’ global BD community, providing direct support to strategic growth opportunities as well as helping to strengthen CRS’ BD-related systems, processes, relationships, and staff capacities.
The BD Manager will support the region’s competitive pursuit of institutional donor resources. With a core function of supporting the non-technical writing and production of high quality applications for donor funding, this position will also provide specialized assistance in other dimensions of the BD cycle, knowledge of specific program sectors or funding sources including corporate and other non-traditional sources, or other relevant areas to be determined in recognition of agency needs. He or she will focus largely on CRS country programs in East Africa, while also contributing to cross-regional and global initiatives as part of the agency’s worldwide BD team.
- Assist country programs to manage proposal processes to ensure timely submission of high quality proposals that are responsive to and compliant with donor requirements and with CRS technical application and cost application standards.
- Provide BD skill and capacity in opportunity analysis, positioning and capture planning, proposal preparation, proposal review, and after-action reviews.
- Lead EARO’s BD community of practice with participation from five CP level PMs/BD
- Liaise with the HQ-based Institutional Donor Engagement and Advancement (IDEA) Department to ensure that relevant information is disseminated to country programs.
- Analyze EARO past performance for both publicly- and privately-funded awards, by donor, sector, and region, with an emphasis on public resource proposal submission and success rates, return on investment, and lessons learned
- Make donor visits with country program and regional staff and coach staff in their donor engagement capacity
- Prepare growth pipeline: lead the forecast of new business for EARO.
- Manage and report on all Growth funding for EARO; Prepare budget or reserve requests for additional funding as needed
- Ensure that the regional pipeline is consistently and accurately recorded in the Gateway system; provide data quality oversight;
- Support country programs in the identification of international partners and negotiation of CRS’ role on proposal consortia, ensuring a competitive position for CRS that adheres to the agency’s partnership principles and strategic directions.
- Contribute to the development and dissemination of standardized BD materials (learning resources, guidelines, tools and templates, and online information), through staff mentorship, modeling of good practices, and training.
- Support CRS teams to develop appropriate and effective fundraising and private sector engagement strategies involving donor research and intelligence, product development, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship, as needed.
- Support CRS senior managers to develop and maintain key relationships with donors, collaborating organizations, and private sector actors with an eye toward opportunity identification, shared value creation, strategic alliance formation, and positioning.
- Work with CP staff and consultants to plan and conduct stakeholder mapping, problem tree and other sessions for design workshops, and guide necessary assessments to position for high-value awards.
- Lead or assist country programs to develop and write project proposals, including DFSAs and other large grant opportunities. Write or edit technical narratives, support with personnel recruitment, and other proposal pieces as required depending on capacities of proposal development team.
- Lead the proposal review process, across the region, including interim drafts and securing approvals. Facilitate technical staff to review documents and coordinate the feedback and ensure that this feedback is incorporated to produce a high quality, competitive proposal.
- Coordinate with the RD, DRD/PQ, Regional Information Officer (RIO), and CRs to develop strategies, communication tools, including written materials, videos, and a process to widely and successfully share information with and influence donors and other key audiences.
- Support DRD PQ on quality review of cost extensions, no cost extensions, modification of awards as it relates to additional revenue or supplemental funds.
- Participate in agency-wide BD community learning and knowledge management by sharing experience and lessons learned virtually.
AGENCY-WIDE COMPETENCIES (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
- Serves with Integrity
- Models Stewardship
- Cultivates Constructive Relationships
- Promotes Learning
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Country Representatives, Program and Operations staff; Regional and Headquarters-based program quality, BD, technical assistance, operations, and management support staff; HQ-based marketing and communications, overseas finance, and private fundraising staff.
External: Country- and regional-level representatives of collaborating organizations, donor agencies, government ministries, private sector entities and other stakeholders as appropriate.
Travel: up to 40% travel within the CRS East Africa Region
- Strong analytical and information management skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication in English, and strong interpersonal, networking, and representation skills;
- Strong team leadership, process and time management skills;
- Commitment to working successfully within a geographically disperse, cross-disciplinary, matrix team structure.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in business management, international relations, international development, or related field;
- Minimum seven years international development experience, including at least three years of work in a developing country;
- Knowledge of BD and fundraising concepts and practice within the foreign aid and/or non-profit contexts;
- Demonstrated experience utilizing diverse, proactive strategies to competitively position his/her organization for new funding and productive institutional relationships;
- Demonstrated experience leading teams and managing people and processes to produce complex proposals under tight deadlines and at exceptional quality.
- Significant experience developing proposals in response to USAID RFAs and RFPs required; comprehensive experience with USAID technical and cost applications highly desirable.
- Experience pursuing non-USG funding mechanisms, and opportunities to create shared cross-sector value highly desirable.
- Experience building the capacity of, and providing effective technical assistance and guidance to, peers and colleagues required; knowledge of instructional design and adult learning principles and/or direct training experience highly desirable.
- Experience with CRS programming approaches, standards and tools preferred;
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 40%, and to function within an evolving global shared services structure that enables shared accountability, cultivation and strategic use of staff talent, and efficient management of resources for growth.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication and negotiation skills.
- Strong analytical skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office required; experience with Salesforce or other CRM software a plus.
Foreign Language: English fluency (written and verbal) required.
DISCLAIMER CLAUSE: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation