|Posting Title:||Programme Management Assistant, G5|
|Job Code Title:||Programme Management Assistant|
|Department/Office:||United Nations Environment Programme|
|Posting Period:||28 December 2018 – 26 January 2019|
|Job Opening Number:||18-Programme Management-UNEP-107885-R-Nairobi (X)|
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. The UN Environment’s Ecosystems Division works with international and national partners, providing technical assistance and advisory services for the implementation of environmental policy, and strengthening the environmental management capacity of developing countries and countries with economies in transition. This post is located in UN Environment, Ecosystems Division, Nairobi Convention Secretariat. Under the supervision of the Coordinator Nairobi Convention secretariat, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Assist in the coordination of programme/project planning and preparation work for, typically, a medium-size and complex component of the departmental programme/project initiatives; monitors status of programme/project proposals and receipt of relevant documentation for review and approval.
• Compile, summarize, and present basic information/data on specific programmes/project and related topics or issues.
• Review project documents, especially cost plans/budgets, for completeness and compliance with relevant rules and procedures prior to submission for final approval and signature; identify inconsistencies; distribute project documents to relevant parties upon approval.
• Review budget revisions; verify availability of funds; ensure necessary approval and entry in computerized budget system.
• Serve as focal point for administrative coordination of programme/project implementation activities, involving extensive liaison with a diverse organizational unit to initiate requests, obtain necessary clearances, process and follow-up on administrative actions, e.g. recruitment and appointment disbursement of funds, procurement of equipment and services, etc.
• Compile, summarize and enter data on project delivery; draft related status reports, identify shortfalls in delivery, budget overruns, etc., and brings to the attention of management.
• Draft correspondence on budget-related issues and prepares and updates periodic reports, briefing notes, graphic and statistical summaries, accounting spreadsheets, etc.
• Provide general office assistance; respond to complex information requests and inquiries; review, log and route incoming correspondence; set up and maintains files/records; organize meetings, workshops; handle routine administrative tasks, such as maintaining attendance records, assessing telephone billing, etc.
• Provide guidance/training to new/junior staff.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of general office and administrative support including administrative policies, processes and procedures; Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations.
COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; Adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently.
High School diploma or equivalent is required. Supplementary courses in Business Administration, Programme/Project management or other related field is desirable. Candidates must have passed the United Nations Administrative Support Assessment Test (ASAT) at Headquarters or an equivalent locally administered test at Offices Away from Headquarters. Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Service category in the United Nations Secretariat. Having passed the Administrative Assessment Support Test (ASAT) in English at Headquarters, ECA, ESCWA, UNOG, UNOV, ICTR, or ICTY may be recognized in place of the GGST, pending confirmation of validity.