Data Management Officer
Overall purpose of the role:
The purpose of this position is to provide direct support to DRC Regional and Country Offices in the roll out of a comprehensive monitoring, evaluation and learning database as well as in management of routine and periodic program data. In the latter case the position holder is expected to provide support in conducting high level analysis of data emanating from regular and periodic surveys and evaluations conducted by DRC/DDG Country operations. The position is also expected to provide support to the ongoing roll out of the Mobile data Collection process for all DRC Country Operations in East Africa and Yemen.
Support DRC/DDG Country operations in the roll out/scale up of the comprehensive MEL database including:
- Initial work of populating the M&E Database with program/project information and data
- Training country MEL and program staffs on database functions
- Ongoing online support to the MEL and program staffs in utilization of database
- Perform data quality control functions to ensure integrity and quality of data that is posted on the database
- Review utility of existing functions and suggest new functions that may improve the efficiency of the database as a tool for managing program and MEL information
- Support the scale up of the database roll out for DRC Somalia and other Country offices that are in the process of piloting.
- Working with DRC/DDG Regional systems developer to upgrade the M&E database to meet the emerging needs of DRC Somalia and Regional office for reporting and data/information management.
- Prepare weekly and monthly analytical reports on progress in database roll out as well as the Mobile data collection
- Work closely with the Regional Systems Developer by technically reviewing work progress and advising the Regional MEL Advisor on relevant actions that need to be undertaken.
Support Country operations during assessments, internal evaluations, KAP surveys and other periodic data collections activities using different data collection platforms:
- Preparing, deploying and maintaining mobile devices for data collection by ensuring the devices are deployed with required apps, optimized for maximum performance and meets the recommended specifications and security standards
- Designing, scripting and deploying tools into mobile data collection platform using the approved software in accordance with organizational standards
- Implement quality control measures during tool scripting by implementing auto data validations scripts and filters
- Support data teams in different Country operations to oversee data collection process and access to platform backend for data retrieval
- Develop and Implement a set of data quality control protocols to ensure data quality, as well as real-time backend data check and verification of collected field data for the various surveys being undertaken by different Country operations
- Explore other mobile data collection options and provide technical support to the DRC Regional MEL Advisor in determining their appropriateness to the different DRC Country contexts.
- Support DRC/DDG Somalia and other Country Operations in performing advanced level data analysis on collected data using relevant data software as per required outputs for reporting purposes
- Collect and collate datasets on selected key indicators from surveys conducted by various DRC Country operations and perform different levels of analysis to demonstrate trends and performance across the region.
- Support country offices perform advanced data analysis using various software
Training and capacity building
- Prepare relevant training materials and tools aimed at building capacities of MEL personnel on data analysis using appropriate software.
- Conduct in-house trainings on data analysis using various statistical data analysis software
- Conduct trainings/inductions to program staffs on other related systems that have been developed/adopted by respective DRC Country offices
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate each of DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values
Experience and technical competencies:
- Experience in working with statistical software for handling both quantitative and qualitative data e.g. NVIVO, STATA, SPSS etc.
- Experience with Android mobile platform, app development, deployment and maintenance
- Exposure to Monitoring and Evaluation process and procedures will be an advantage
- Strong Experience in Mobile User Interface Design and Development
- Experience on design, development and deployment of open source android data collection tools
- Exposure related to data security aspects of mobile client architecture and development desired
- Ability to multi task and good time management skills
- Ability to work on their own and as a part of the team
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) to liaise with various stakeholders
- Able to competently coordinate and efficiently perform task remotely to meet desired deliverables
- Possess strong analytical and conceptual skills.
- Knowledge of working in challenging environments.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work with limited supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal skills & demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations between programs & support
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Mathematics/ Statistics /Information Technology coupled with at least three years’ experience in data management/analytics functions.
- Master’s Degree in similar fields of study with at least two years post- graduation experience in data management and analytics functions would be an added advantage.
- Exposure on establishment of databases and data application scripting with experience on ODK platforms will be an advantage.
- Excellent communication skills in English is required.
- Working Knowledge of French would be an added advantage.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework into the work of DRC.
Availability: Immediately or 1st August 2018
Duty station: Nairobi
Reporting: Reports to MEL Advisor
Contract: Until 31st December 2018 renewal dependent on both funding and performance. Salary and conditions in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National Staff.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the online application on www.drc.dk under vacancies no later than
19th July 2018.
Candidates who applied previously need not to apply
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact [email protected]
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.dk.