Investing in Money Market Fund in Kenya require that you put your money in a best insurance or bank where you are assured of high interest rates .There are over 15 companies that offer Money Market Fund investment option, which is under Unit Trusts. For those planning to join, you are advised to pick the best company, where high interest is guaranteed. Some of the parameters to use to determine ideal company include:
- Interest Rates-they should be high
- Stability of the company-The Company must have solid foundations and heavily regulated.
Every week, companies publish results of their Money Market Fund performance, and from the results, CIC Insurance, Madison, Amana and Old Mutual always lead the rest in terms of interest rates.
If you are planning to join this type of investment, here is a list of best companies to contact:
CIC Insurance Company
CIC is regarded as the best company to invest your money. You can do this using the following steps:
CIC Money Market Fund
The CIC Money Market fund is a low risk fund which invests in diversified near cash, interest bearing instruments in the Kenyan market.
The fund invests in high quality interest bearing investments, fixed deposits, and near cash holdings in the Kenyan Market.
This fund is:
- For the investor looking for a safe parking place for their funds and with a low risk appetite- preservation of capital.
Returns on the Money Market Fund.
Returns consist of interest from the various interest bearing instruments and is credited monthly. It is recommended that the interest be reinvested in to the fund so as to maximize return on investment through compounded growth. It is recommended that the funds be invested for at least 1 year.
The interest is credited to investor’s account monthly for investors who roll over credited to investors’ bank account for investors who need a regular cash flow.
The interest rate will fluctuate with market dynamics. CIC endeavors to invest prudently and negotiate competitively to give its customers the best rates possible in the market taking investor’s security of their investment into consideration.
- Minimum investment amount is Kshs. 5,000. Minimum additional amount is Kshs. 1,000.
- NO initial fees are charged on the Money Market fund
- Access to your money is when required with a short notice of 2 – 4 working days.
- Monthly statement is sent.
At Britam,you can invest in Unit Trusts and specify a low risk investment like Money Market. Your funds will be spefically used for Money market trading, which is regarded as a riskless investment
BRITAM UNIT TRUST
A unit trust , also known as a collective investment scheme or a mutual fund is a professionally managed investment fund in which investors’ contributions are pooled together to purchase financial securities, such as equities (shares), bonds, cash, bank deposits etc In Kenya, Unit Trusts are regulated by Capital Markets Authority.
Unit Trust funds Benefits.
- Increased diversification: A fund normally holds many financial securities; diversification decreases risk.
- Daily liquidity: Unitholders can buy and sell their units on a daily basis
- Professional investment management: unit trust funds hire portfolio managers to supervise the fund’s investments.
- Ability to participate in investments that may be available only to larger investors. For example, individual investors often find it difficult to invest directly in foreign markets.
- Government oversight: Unit trust funds are regulated by CMA
- Ease of comparison: All mutual funds are required to report the same information to investors, which makes them easy to compare.
BRITAM BALANCED FUND
A money market fund invests mainly in fixed income securities with short investment duration and high credit quality. These fund aims to obtain a high level of current income than most bank deposits while protecting investor’s capital. It invests in money market securities with a maturity of less than 12 months allowing for a higher than average rate of return as well as immediate liquidity. The income that the fund earns is accrued daily and distributed to the unit holders net of fund costs.
The Britam money market fund is your ideal investment option for cash you intend to use to meet your short term goals.
These may include:
- School Fees
- Deposit – Car/Mortgage /Land
- Chama/Investment Funds
- Family and Staff welfare funds – for weddings and burials etc.
- Wedding planning
- Construction/Project funds
- Holiday Planning, etc.
Amana Capital performs exemplary when it comes to Unit Trusts. The company has highly qualified Fund Managers who invest customers’ funds in high return investments. You can see from the table below the performance of the company for the last 1 year.
|Amana Unit Trust Returns
|The % shows what you would have made if you had invested with Amana Capital 1 month, 3 months, 6 months or 1 year ago.
MADISON ASSET MONEY MARKET FUND
This is an excellent savings account. If you are looking to build up your savings or if you want to keep your funds for a short period of time, this is the ideal fund for you.
- You will earn interest which is credited and re-invested at the end of each month.
- Your capital will remain safe.
- You will get competitive rates based on the market.
- No entry or exit fee is charged, you can top up at any point or withdraw your funds at any point and the same is credited to your account within two days.
- For first time investors, this would be the best starting point.
- Yield on investment is published daily in the newspapers.
INITIAL INVESTMENT IS KSHS. 50,000